JEREMY Cameron has booted seven goals to inspire Greater Western Sydney to a 10-point upset of reigning premier Hawthorn at Spotless Stadium.

In front of 13,556 fans, the second-largest crowd ever seen at the ground, the Giants pulled off the best win in their history, thanks to a stirring second half. 

Cameron was the match-winner for the Giants up forward while co-captain Callan Ward, Ryan Griffen and 50-gamer Stephen Coniglio led the midfield charge. 

Five talking points: GWS v Hawthorn

Devon Smith also kicked three goals for the Giants, with Adam Treloar, Dylan Shiel and Tom Scully also sharing plenty of the footy. 

Heath Shaw and Joel Patfull provided plenty of run from the back half, but more importantly, some composure late in the game.

Defenders Sam Mitchell, Grant Birchall and Josh Gibson were brilliant for the Hawks, while Shaun Burgoyne and the hard-running Isaac Smith were influential all night. 

Smith kicked the opening two goals of the game for Hawthorn, before his namesake matched that effort for GWS. Two late goals in the quarter were enough for the Hawks to take a handy 15-point lead at quarter-time.

Experienced trio Mitchell, Birchall and Gibson were controlling the tempo from half back for the visitors, amassing 34 possessions between them in the opening term.

The Hawks jumped out to a 27-point lead early in the second, but the Giants' tackling pressure lifted, led by big man Shane Mumford, and changed the momentum of the match. 

GWS kicked five straight goals to finish the half, including a pair for star forward Cameron and, with a boisterous home crowd in full voice, the Giants went to the long break with an unlikely four-point buffer.

The teams traded three-goal bursts to open the third quarter, and when Cameron kicked his fifth, Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson was forced to shift Gibson onto the 2013 All Australian, with Ryan Schoenmakers well beaten.

Hawthorn turned for home 10 points up and Billy Hartung's second gave them a three-goal lead early in the last, before GWS responded again.

Cameron's sixth, a clever soccered goal off the deck, inspired the home side and Ryan Griffen levelled the scores from deep in the left forward pocket with 10 minutes to play before the Giants lost their radar, kicking four straight behinds.

A seventh for Cameron finally broke the run of misses for GWS and when Devon Smith added his third minutes later, the Giants had kicked five in a row and were 18 points up with less than seven minutes on the clock.

Hawthorn challenged again, thanks to a Taylor Duryea major, but the home side held on in the tense final minutes to record a monumental upset.

Adam Treloar leaves Ryan Schoenmakers in his wake. Picture: AFL Media

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY 2.2 7.4 11.5 16.12 (108)
HAWTHORN 4.5 6.6 12.9 14.14 (98) 

Greater Western Sydney: Cameron 7, D. Smith 3, McCarthy, Scully, Greene, Treloar, Stewart, Griffen
Hawthorn: Roughead, I. Smith, Gunston, Hartung 2, Shiels, Puopolo, Mitchell, Burgoyne, Breust, Duryea 

Greater Western Sydney: Ward, Cameron, Shaw, Scully, Treloar, Shiel
Hawthorn: Burgoyne, Mitchell, Birchall, I. Smith, Suckling, Hill 

Greater Western Sydney: Nil
Hawthorn: Nil 

Greater Western Sydney: Zac Williams replaced Will Hoskin-Elliott at three-quarter time
Hawthorn: Brendan Whitecross replaced in Ben McEvoy in the third quarter 

Greater Western Sydney: C Ward (for wresting with W Langford (Hawks) in the third quarter)
Hawthorn: W Langford (for wresting with C Ward (Giants) in the third quarter) 

Umpires: Nicholls, Hay, Jeffery

Official crowd: 13,556 at Spotless Stadium