Stynes back on the ball
SOME may see it as a sign Dean Bailey is under more pressure than ever to hang onto his job. Others may simply marvel at Jim Stynes' seemingly boundless passion for his football club that not even a long-running battle with cancer can diminish.
We're referring to The Age report on Thursday that Melbourne president Stynes will step into a day-to-day role managing the Demons' football department.
Age chief football writer Caroline Wilson reported Stynes had been appointed to the role at Melbourne's board meeting on Monday night, with his vice-president Don McLardy appointed to assist him.
Stynes told Wilson he planned to work more closely with Demons coach Bailey in the role, so much so he would spend less time on his youth charity Reach.
Stynes said his role would be "short term", with the club set to appoint another "football person" to its board when it found the right candidate.
While Stynes has been staunch in his support for Bailey in the wake of the Demons' 54-point smashing at the hands of West Coast last Thursday night, he told The Age he would now establish a sub-committee to review Bailey's performance and, ultimately, decide whether he should be offered a contract extension at the end of this season.
Wilson said she understood Stynes and McLardy would also review the structure and operation of Melbourne's football department, which was recently reviewed, along with the club's other departments, by external consultant Ray Andrews.
Demons fans would expect Stynes to take some action in the wake of the club's underwhelming start to the year, which has included just two wins, against the competition's bottom-two sides, Gold Coast and Brisbane Lions.
Meanwhile, with or without Stynes looking over his shoulder, Bailey knows there's only one way to get the critics off his back - getting some wins on the board.
Lake labelled "coach killer"
Already this week two-time All Australian Brian Lake has been dropped from the Western Bulldogs' side. And if he opened The Age's sports section on Thursday, he would have read he is now also a "coach killer".
Reporter Michael Gleeson placed Lake into this unusual demographic on the basis "he is an infuriatingly selfish player who ignores the team instruction and plays his own game".
How do you like them apples, Brian?
In fairness, Gleeson tempered his comments by acknowledging Lake's current form woes had been caused by his injury-interrupted start to the season. He also said Lake's preparedness to ignore his man and back his ability to read the ball in the air had helped make him such a good player for so long. These traits had meant Lake was "unparalleled" for his ability to intercept opposition kicks, Gleeson said.
Former St Kilda full-back and Richmond coach Danny Frawley told Gleeson Lake's strengths had become weaknesses this season and, while coaches were generally prepared to give very good players latitude to back themselves, such latitude was reined in when it was consistently hurting the team.
Frawley advised Lake to start focusing on stopping his direct opponent.
Crameri no longer a rookie
As hard it has may be for Essendon supporters to get their heads around, but for Jason Winderlich's and Courtenay Dempsey's season-ending knee injuries, Stewart Crameri would have been back on the Bombers' rookie list within two weeks.
After making his debut for the Bombers late last season, Crameri has been one of 2011's biggest bolters. Not only has he played every game to date, he has also transformed himself from a consistent VFL midfielder into a potent forward whose rare mix of height (190cm), speed and strength make him an extremely difficult match-up.
But the Herald Sun reports the player whose injury troubles paved the way for Crameri's elevation ahead of round one, Anthony Long, is expected to return from the Bombers' long-term injury list in the next fortnight.
The tabloid reported Crameri would then nominally return to the rookie list so Long could move back onto the senior list, but would then be elevated again, in place of Winderlich or Dempsey.
In even better news for Bomber fans, the Herald Sun believes Essendon has begun talks with Crameri on a contract extension.
In short
AFL Medical Officers' Association executive officer Dr Hugh Seward has asked club doctors to advise players and coaches to buck the trend of players deliberately ducking their heads to win free kicks for high contact, the Herald Sun reports.
Former Port Adelaide captain Warren Tredrea writes in his Advertiser column the Power's poor start to 2011 has been caused by a lack of confidence that has meant too many players are not prepared to take the game on.
Gold Coast vice-captain Nathan Bock admits he let his teammates down by missing last week's 139-point thrashing by Essendon through suspension, the Gold Coast Bulletin reports.
First-year Richmond player Reece Conca says being drafted by the Tigers is the best thing that could have happened to him, while being handed the No. 30 jumper previously by Tiger legend Francis Bourke had been "pretty special", The Age reports.
The views in this story are those of the author and not necessarily those of the clubs or the AFL.