MELBOURNE midfielder Angus Brayshaw's immediate playing future is clouded after he suffered another concussion in the VFL on Saturday night, but the Demons remain confident he will be available for selection next week.
The 21-year-old received his latest head knock in a contest during the second quarter of the Demons' 46-point win over North Ballarat, and did not appear after half-time.
Casey coach Justin Plapp told AFL.com.au on Sunday that Brayshaw would be monitored closely in the coming days given his concussion history.
"With his background last year, the medicos felt it was the right decision to finish him up and assess him through the week," Plapp said.
"Initially they might've felt it was on the mild side, but to what extent at the moment, we don't know.
"He'll be assessed like anyone else around the concussion protocols."
Demons football manager Josh Mahoney said the club's treatment of Brayshaw's latest knock was precautionary, rather than a response to alarming symptoms.
"We want to make sure that everyone knows that it is a minor concussion," Mahoney told Triple M on Sunday.
"I understand that he has got a bit of a history going back to last year having two concussions in quick succession.
"But some of the commentary I've heard about it being career-threatening is a bit of a dramatisation of his situation.
"It was a very minor concussion is the way our doctors described it but there was just enough there to rule him out of the second half of the game.
"He's only got a couple of symptoms still this morning, so he's improved since the game."
Mahoney added that Brayshaw was considered a reasonable chance to be cleared to play next week.
Concussion and its lasting effects on players has been an area of growing concern in sports around the world.
St Kilda's Sean Dempster, North Melbourne's Leigh Adams and Melbourne's Heritier Lumumba are among the AFL players who have retired from the game citing concussion issues in recent years.
Mahoney said Brayshaw hadn't displayed the sort of symptoms that could lead him to ponder early retirement.
But he admitted the midfielder was troubled by the latest setback.
"It's a concern for Angus," Mahoney said.
"He's frustrated because, first of all he wants to be playing in the senior team.
"There's concern that he's getting knocks to the head and he's having some symptoms from it.
"He's thinking about it a bit at the moment but all we can say to Angus is (we'll) keep treating it as we are.
"We take concussion very seriously and if we thought it was more of an issue than it currently is then we'd certainly be looking into it."
In May last year, Brayshaw suffered two concussions at VFL level in the space of three weeks.
In the first instance, the 187cm ball-winner was concussed against Essendon when an errant kick from a teammate hit him in the head.
He then received a heavy head knock at a centre bounce against Sandringham a fortnight later, forcing him to miss the next month.
Brayshaw, who was limited to just 10 games for Melbourne last year, has played a total of 33 matches since being recruited with pick No.3 in the 2014 NAB AFL Draft.
He featured in the Demons' opening two games this season, before being omitted in round three.