RICHMOND has ruined Kane Cornes' 300th and final match of his career, beating a dismal Port Adelaide by 33 points at Adelaide Oval on Sunday evening. 

Cornes and his three sons Raphael, Sonny and Eddy led the Power onto the field and although he was terrific in shutting down Tigers captain Trent Cotchin, his side couldn't lift for the milestone. 

The Power were unconvincing from go to woe, slipping to 13th on the ladder while the 11.10 (76) to 5.13 (43) win pushed the Tigers into the eight.

Click here for full match coverage and stats

After leading the Tigers to victory last weekend against Collingwood with 32 disposals and two goals, Cotchin was held to just 17 touches while the retiring Cornes collected 28 of his own. 

But although Cotchin was ineffective, Brandon Ellis (30 disposals), Brett Deledio (28) and Anthony Miles (26) all fired – as did Alex Rance who kept Jay Schulz goalless. 

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick said it was one of the best wins in his time at Punt Road.

"It was as a mature a win as I've seen from our footy club," Hardwick said.

"[Port were] playing for a club legend in Kane Cornes, we knew it was going to be a fierce contest, for our guys to probably absorb that … it was us against the wall there for a while."

Talking points: Port Adelaide v Richmond

Ollie Wines (24 disposals) was strong in his return from injury, Chad Wingard (20, two goals), Travis Boak (32 possessions) and Robbie Gray (28 disposals, one goal) all won possession but it mattered little.

The Tigers conceded the first seven goals of the game the last time they played at Adelaide Oval but they were far hotter early on Sunday. 

They controlled open play and drove inside 50 16 times to Port's nine. 

Despite the fortnight-long build up to Cornes' retirement the Power looked flat and lacked run as the Tigers opened a 19-point lead. 

After eight possessions in his first quarter back from a wrist injury, Wines found Wingard deep in attack for the first goal of the second quarter and Port's first of the game. 

But the Power's hard work was quickly undone when Jack Riewoldt somehow found himself free inside 50 before slotting a second just a few minutes later. 

The Tigers lost bigman Ty Vickery when his right leg was caught awkwardly underneath his 99kg frame. 

Even with the help of trainers he barely managed to limp off and was soon subbed out of the game with a knee injury.

The Tigers' defence was holding firm under extreme pressure in the third quarter with Monfries nailing the only goal of the term.

Led by Deledio and Ellis, Richmond managed to soak up anything the Power could throw – albeit without scoring itself. 

Port's disappointing night got far worse minutes into the final quarter when key defender Jackson Trengove was helped from the field with what appeared to be a serious ankle injury.

Richmond had won six of its seven final quarters this year to Port's one and a goal from Tigers' sub Connor Menadue ensured the trend continued. 

Cornes was left to retire a champion – leaving the ground through a guard of honour formed by both sides, while his side will now answer serious questions about its 2015 season.

Power coach Ken Hinkley conceded his team was badly out of touch but said there were elements of Sunday's game that had pleased him.

"Tonight we played the game a little bit more the way we'd like to play it: in our half, got the entries right, got front of centre turnovers right – then our skill just went horrendous," Hinkley said.

"The composure sometimes comes with more belief and at the moment the belief's disappeared a little bit, we've just got to keep fighting to find it."

PORT ADELAIDE      0.3   3.6   4.10   5.13 (43) 
RICHMOND              3.4    7.5   7.5    11.10 (76) 

Port Adelaide: Monfries 2, Wingard 2, R.Gray
Richmond: Riewoldt 4, Batchelor, Ellis, Deledio, Martin, Griffiths, Menadue, Edwards 

Port Adelaide: Wingard, Cornes, R.Gray, Wines, Boak, Hombsch
Richmond: Deledio, Riewoldt, Ellis, Rance, Martin, Miles  

Port Adelaide: Trengove (leg)
Richmond: Vickery (knee) 

Port Adelaide: Karl Amon replaced Nathan Krakouer at three-quarter time
Richmond: Connor Menadue replaced Ty Vickery (knee) in the second quarter 

Reports: Nil 

Umpires: Bannister, Hosking, Chamberlain

Official crowd: 45,268 at Adelaide Oval