The 2012 Magpie best and fairest winner has not played so far in 2013 after injuring his quad on season's eve, and had his first football-based training session last Wednesday as his rehabilitation program continues.
However there are fears he is further away than the club originally hoped and the injury will stop him returning for another month.
Collingwood VFL coach Dale Tapping told Fairfax after Saturday's win against Geelong that Beams remained four or five weeks away.
That would keep him out until after Collingwood's bye that occurs after round 12.
Earlier in the week the Magpies said they hoped the 23-year-old would be available for selection in a fortnight with coach Nathan Buckley saying on Wednesday Beams needed a couple of weeks of training before they decided when to "pull the trigger" on his selection.
However Buckley was less optimistic on Saturday night when asked about Beams.
"He had some scans yesterday, and when our doctor is ready to make a statement about that, and when we know exactly where that's at, we'll let you know," Buckley said.
It would be another setback for Collingwood who lost Dale Thomas for another fortnight last week and Alex Fasolo for the remainder of the season. Recruit Clinton Young is yet to appear for the Magpies after a series of injuries.
In more positive news Luke Ball made a successful comeback from a knee reconstruction on Saturday night against Geelong after more than a year away from senior football.
Brent Macaffer and Andrew Krakouer were also in good form against the Cats after missing most of 2012 with knee injuries.