FREMANTLE has not guaranteed Ryan Crowley a spot on the club's list in 2016 despite the player desperate to return to AFL ranks.

Fremantle's CEO Steve Rosich said the club would review its list at the end of the season as part of the normal list management protocols.

Crowley was handed a 12-month suspension by the AFL on Thursday for breaching the anti-doping code.

Rosich also confirmed that Crowley had met all of the legal costs personally and the club was not imposing any additional penalty.

The sanction is backdated to September 25 last year - the day he accepted a voluntary suspension - meaning he could play in the last two weeks of finals.

Crowley is unable to train with Fremantle until July 25.

Rosich said he would not rule out the possibility of Crowley returning to play for Fremantle this season should the Dockers reach the preliminary final.

"There's lots that needs to play out for that to be even considered so that's something we'll just weigh up down the track," Rosich said.

"I don't think we'd rule out anything."

Rosich said the suspension does not change the club's opinion of Crowley, who is a life member and a best-and-fairest winner, however, his future at the club beyond this season cannot be guaranteed.

"We stated in the press release we'll sit down in due course at the end of the season and review as part of our normal list management protocol the status of Ryan post this season."

Crowley said he has not made a decision on his future but he stated he would continue to train away from the club in a bid to be available to play again.

"This is obviously pretty raw," Crowley said.

"I wasn't sure what the outcome was going to be. So I've got some thinking to do. I'll just make sure I'm fit and we'll make that decision at the end of the year."

Crowley confirmed that the 'specified' substance he tested positive for was methadone, but said he did not intentionally take it.

"The substance was methadone, which was contained inside a painkiller," Crowley said. 

"I've had recurring back problems for a long time now.

"It was obviously a mistake and something that I'm paying for now. Like I said, I never intended to do anything wrong." 

Despite unintentionally taking the substance, Crowley took ownership of his suspension and did not blame anyone for his actions.

"I'm not looking for sympathy or anything because this was my mistake and I deserve it," Crowley said.

"But I wouldn't wish this on anyone."

He also revealed his initial phone call to Fremantle coach Ross Lyon was the hardest call he had to make.

"To be honest, the phone call to Ross to tell him was probably the hardest one out of telling everyone just because I respect him so much," Crowley said. 

"I knew I really wanted to be out there this year and that was obviously going to be tough. But Ross is one of the most genuine and caring people that I've ever met and he made it really easy after the first initial few words."