CLUB bosses Trevor Nisbett and Mark Evans have backed the AFL's aim to restart the competition in June amid growing confidence around a 'fly in, fly out' fixture.
The AFL informed clubs on Saturday morning that the federal government's pathway to resuming games had provided a clear roadmap to football's recommencement after the COVID-19 enforced suspension after round one.
West Coast chief executive Trevor Nisbett said the briefing was a lot "brighter and more positive" than recent meetings, with the Eagles' boss saying he had previously thought June seemed too early as a targeted return.
"I thought June was probably a little premature to start with when we were talking about things a few weeks ago, but now it seems a reality and a likelihood," Nisbett told ABC Radio on Saturday.
The long-time West Coast CEO said AFL protocols allowing players to train in groups of up to 10 would change rapidly and were among the first key steps in getting games started again.
LATEST NEWS All your COVID-19 updates here
AFL.com.au reported clubs were told that it was possible quarantine hubs may not be required to play games and that a more traditional fixture format was a chance to resume.
The easing of border state border restrictions around the country could see teams able to travel interstate for games but be subject to strict measures to ensure the safety of players, staff and the community.
"Hopefully [the season structure] falls into some sort of normality for the ability to fly in and fly out, but that will be subject to what Western Australia and South Australia do with regards to their health protocols," Nisbett said.
West Coast has pushed to get its players who had returned to their home states during the shutdown period to return to Perth in the past week.
Gold Coast counterpart Evans, who agreed June seems a likely start date, said the optimism was felt at club level.
Queensland's government decision to support sport being played in the state looms as a key plank in the AFL's plans, which would allow the Suns and Brisbane to travel for the fixture.
"There still needs to be an approval of all the health protocols, safety for the participants and people travelling, but also the communities they go into," Evans told SEN.
"That will involve what the testing regime is, the hygiene protocols and all those sorts of things. That all still needs approval by the state, but subject to that approval it will allow for that travel to occur across the border."
The AFL is set to announce on May 11 when it plans for the season to return.
Meanwhile, with uncertainty over state leagues amid the coronavirus crisis, Nisbett has ruled out West Coast fielding a side in a national reserves competition.
Nisbett, who heads the wealthiest club in the competition, said the costs to run a national second-tier league would be too large.
"It won't be with us in it. It's too expensive to West Australian football and certainly our club. In the current climate I couldn't see us participating in a national comp," he said.