SUSPENDED VFL footballer Matthew Clark has called on the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) to appeal the length of Ahmed Saad's suspension.
Saad was given an 18-month suspension by the AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal after testing positive to a banned substance found in an energy drink.
Clark is serving a two-year ban after a similar chemical was found in his system while playing for Frankston in the VFL.
His original sentence was nine months, before ASADA successfully appealed the decision, increasing the suspension to two years.
"I was just very disappointed to see that an AFL player got one sentence and a small-time VFL player got a harsher punishment," Clark told
"I thought because they set the benchmark for my case, you'd think it would be the exact same penalty. It was all the same scenario.
"They (ASADA) should definitely appeal, I think. I'd be very disappointed if they didn't, because obviously they gave me the nine months to start with and they appealed that."

ASADA will not comment on the sanctions until the 21-day period in which Saad can appeal is over, and the AFL would not be drawn on the specifics of Clark's or Saad's circumstances.
"Every case is unique and its particular circumstances are taken into account by the Anti-Doping Tribunal in determining a sanction," the AFL's head of corporate communications James Tonkin said.
Had Clark been given an 18-month suspension, he would have been free to return to football this week.
Instead, he hasn't been permitted to train with a club, or engage in talks regarding a playing contract for when he is eligible to play from May 22, 2014.

The AFL allowed Saad to train with St Kilda during his provisional six-month suspension this year, but a spokesperson for the League said that must cease now that the official sanction has been handed down.
Saints to back Saad during ban
Clark was offered a provisional ban but he declined that offer.
"He took the six months provisional, and then they said he could train when he was suspended, which I wasn't allowed to," Clark said.
"I rang them up to see if he's allowed to train, then obviously I must be allowed to train because we're both suspended.
"They said that because his suspension finishes in February (2015), they said St Kilda might be a chance to sign him up for that season. He's not allowed to sign up until his suspension is done. He's not allowed to have any involvement in that club at all.
"I rang up to see if I could at least sign with a club for next season, and they said, 'no, you can't talk to any club and you can't sign up with any sporting club'.
"I've been trying to call up to speak to people about it and I've been keeping a really close eye on Saad's case to make sure that the exact same ending happens that happened to mine.
"I'm hoping some good lawyer out there will give me a call."

The AFL says Saad can be re-drafted by St Kilda, but the rules state that he must not be paid, train with the group or have any contact with the club until his ban is served.
For now, Clark is training on his own and focusing on that return date in May next year.
He intends to play for Edithvale-Aspendale Football Club, before re-launching his VFL career the following year.
"I'm just really hungry to get out there," Clark said.
"I'm going to go and play a season back with my mates to see if I can still actually kick a football, and I'm hoping after that I can go back to the VFL, and I can still play at that level."