LADDER leader Geelong has withstood a strong third-quarter fightback from a desperate Port Adelaide to extend its winning run to nine games with a 12-point win at Adelaide Oval on Saturday evening.

Port, which needed a win to keep its top-eight hopes alive, had trailed by 34 points at half-time but stormed back into the game with an eight-goal third quarter to re-claim the lead shortly prior to the final change.

But Geelong rallied, led by Tom Hawkins who kicked two of his four goals in the last quarter and Tom Atkins with 12 disposals in the term, to run out winners 16.10 (106) to 14.10 (94).

POWER v CATS Full match coverage and stats

Jeremy Cameron also booted three majors, while Gary Rohan and Tyson Stengle got two each for the Cats whose record improves to 14-4, boosting their top-two aspirations.

06:43 Mins
Published on

Highlights: Port Adelaide v Geelong

The Power and Cats clash in round 19

Published on

The result leaves the 11th-placed Power precariously placed with an 8-10 record, having lost three of their past four games. Port Adelaide is now six points outside of the top eight.

Charlie Dixon sparked Port's remarkable third-term turnaround with 11 disposals, including seven contested possessions and two goals for the quarter, playing a mix of forward and ruck.

Mitch Georgiades kicked three goals for the Power and plucked another Mark of the Year contender with a leaping effort over teammate Todd Marshall in the last.

00:22 Mins
Published on

Jumping Georgiades takes massive MOTY contender

Mitch Georgiades takes this absolute screamer to put himself in contention for Four'N Twenty AFL Mark of the Year

Published on

After a tight opening term, Geelong's class began to tell, piling on six goals to one in the second quarter to open up a 34-point lead at the long break, with Brad Close capping off an excellent first half that included seven tackles with a major.

However, the momentum changed after the main interval, coinciding with Geelong ruckman Rhys Stanley's substitution due to a knee issue, as Port got a stronghold around stoppages.

00:55 Mins
Published on

Powell-ful Pepper delights from beyond the arc

Sam Powell-Pepper delivers this booming finish from long range which gives his side the perfect start to the second half

Published on

The Power sensationally re-took the lead late in the third when Travis Boak kicked truly from a set shot after a Dixon pass. Dixon had a game-high 12 score involvements but finished the match with an ankle concern.

Cameron goaled 15 seconds into the last quarter before Stengle added another, only for the Power to square it up again a few minutes later after Karl Amon's goal.

POWER ON Port not giving up on finals, Scott backs score review

Scores were level for long periods of the last term, but Hawkins would have the final say, with the last two goals of the game.

00:53 Mins
Published on

Silky Miers extends Cats' lead

Gryan Miers produces this brilliant goal to give his side some much-needed breathing room late in the second term

Published on

Stanley sub the catalyst
Cats ruckman Stanley was subbed out early in the third term with a knee issue and his absence was felt immediately, with Port dominating the centre clearances 7-1 for the quarter as they surged back into the contest. Port's makeshift ruck duo of Dixon and Jeremy Finlayson apitalized, with the pair having 15 and 12 contested possessions respectively for the game. Despite missing almost a half, Stanley had a game-high eight clearances, so his impact around stoppages was significant.

Rhys Stanley of Geelong and Jeremy Finlayson of Port Adelaide compete in R19, 2022. Picture: AFL Photos

Cameron’s miss of the season
Jeremy Cameron may be one of the AFL's top goal scorers but he missed an absolute sitter in the second term, running into an open goal after a perfect pass from Stengle. Under some minor pressure from the chasing Aliir and Amon, Cameron inexplicably misfired from five metres out, with his dribbled shot appearing to come off the side of his boot. Ultimately it didn’t cost Geelong, but it doesn’t help his Coleman Medal hopes, sitting behind Charlie Curnow by one goal.

00:25 Mins
Published on

Even Jezza can miss the unmissable

Jeremy Cameron is unable to snag his first major of the game as he dribbles this kick wide of the goals

Published on

Controversial call for no review
There was controversy with just over 10 minutes left in the final quarter when the field umpire opted not to review a potential Patrick Dangerfield goal. The Cats superstar claimed that he'd soccered the ball over the line in a goalsquare contest with Aliir Aliir. A goal would’ve put Geelong up by 11 points. The goal umpire immediately called it a rushed behind, with Dangerfield gesturing for a review, yet the field umpire – who was quickly on the scene – opted against that, although replays weren’t overly conclusive either way.

PORT ADELAIDE     4.3       5.5      13.7     14.10 (94)
GEELONG                5.1     11.3      12.6     16.10 (106)

Port Adelaide: Georgiades 3, Powell-Pepper 2, Marshall 2, Dixon 2, Farrell, Gray, McEntee, Boak, Amon
Geelong: Hawkins 4, Cameron 3, Rohan 2, Stengle 2, Holmes, Dangerfield, Miers, Close, Smith

Port Adelaide: Dixon, Powell-Pepper, Amon, Georgiades, Boak, Burton
Geelong: Atkins, Cameron, Hawkins, Guthrie, Close, Tuohy

Port Adelaide: Houston (concussion), Dixon (ankle)
Geelong: Stanley (knee)

Port Adelaide: Riley Bonner (replaced Houston at three-quarter time)
Geelong: Shannon Neale (replaced Stanley in the third quarter)