There have been calls from club heavyweights to overhaul the father-son system as well as the AFL academies in New South Wales and Queensland in pursuit of a "pure draft".
League football operations manager Mark Evans, however, said the AFL had no intention of removing those draft mechanisms.
"I don't think we're intending to change the father-son rule as a concept ... we still like that and we like the academies," he told Melbourne radio station SEN on Tuesday night.
"It's more an assessment of what is a fair value to put on that father-son pick, or academy pick.
"We've had various iterations of this ... and we've moved to a bidding system, which I think is the fairest we've had so far.
"The question is, is there a fairer system than the one we've got?"
Collingwood president Eddie McGuire and Hawthorn counterpart Andrew Newbold have publicly urged AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan to change the bidding system for academy and father-son players.
McLachlan has stated that AFL funding for the academies would stay.
Swans academy player Isaac Heeney has been touted as a potential top three NAB AFL Draft selection this year, but he could be taken by the Swans with a pick in the late teens should the club finish in the top four.
The Swans have reportedly threatened to scale down their commitment to the academies if there are changes to the current bidding system.