FIRST-YEAR Sydney forward Elijah Taylor has pleaded guilty to an assault charge arising from an incident at a Perth hotel earlier this month. 

Taylor pleaded guilty in the Perth Magistrates Court to aggravated assault occasioning bodily harm.

He is due to reappear for sentencing on December 2. 

Violence against women in any form is abhorrent and we strongly condemn it

- AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan

Taylor was stood down by the Swans a fortnight ago after police charged him with assault over the hotel incident. He had also failed to abide by a number of club directives, the club said at the time

Taylor was already banned for the season after he broke AFL and WA government protocols by sneaking his then-girlfriend into the club's quarantine hub in Joondalup.

Following that incident, the former partner (who AFL.com.au has chosen not to name) later took to social media and accused Taylor of assault. This allegation, however, is related to a previous incident in Sydney prior to COVID-19.

Taylor's guilty plea on Wednesday prompted the AFL and Sydney to release statements confirming they would continue to review his playing future. 

>> READ THE FULL AFL STATEMENT

Elijah Taylor on the SCG ahead of the R7 clash with Gold Coast. Picture: AFL Photos

Sydney's general manager of football, Charlie Gardiner, said the club was extremely disappointed in Taylor's actions.

"These were very serious charges and something we never want to see in the community, much less have one of our players involved in," Gardiner said.

"At the time of making the decision to stand Elijah down we said we would review the situation as it unfolded, and that is what we intend to do, in consultation with the AFL, the AFL Players' Association and Elijah's management.

"I would like to reiterate our club's very strong position that violence against women, in any form, is never acceptable and we strongly condemn it."

Elijah Taylor flies during the R8 clash between Sydney and Hawthorn. Picture: Getty Images

The AFL reiterated CEO Gillon McLachlan's statement that the AFL condemned any violence against women. 

"Violence against women in any form is abhorrent and we strongly condemn it," Mr McLachlan said.

"Our view is clear and unequivocal – violence against women is never OK in any circumstance – ever." 

Taylor was taken with pick 36 at the 2019 NAB AFL Draft. He has played four games this season.